ATX rotary tables – specially developed for the highest possible number of cycles.
Time and again customers come to us with entirely new or highly specialised tasks. The challenge then is for us to design exactly the right solution for these tasks. Because our company has a long tradition of success in the development of revolutionary fixture solutions you are always in good hands at ATX, no matter how tricky the technical requirements are. The ATX rotary tables are an ideal example of this.
The customer's requirements were as follows:
With this technical special development the customer was aiming at achieving the highest possible number of cycles. The aim was to carry out the in-circuit test and the functional test in a single test operation. The rotation fixture which is integrated in our solution makes it possible to insert a new PCB at the front while the previous one is rotated onwards and testing is simultaneously taking place at the rear of the test chamber. This function makes it possible to fully test PCBs at a tremendously high cycle rate and in only a single test operation, which has the effect of increasing production rates enormously. At the same time the customer required a high level of operational reliability, the highest safety standards and compact design. Other requirements of the unit were low noise operation and fast retooling from all sides. These were therefore highly complex requirements, which brought out the best in our technical expertise.
And this application is our solution:
The customer's technical specifications led to an especially functional and efficient solution with the highest possible number of cycles. The newly developed ATX rotary table is able to rotate PCBs automatically in such a way that in-circuit testing and functional testing can be implemented simultaneously. The overall structure of the system is so robust that even the highest possible production numbers can be achieved without difficulty. Its modular design and composition featuring normed assembly groups make it possible to adapt to the unit quickly and at a low cost to varying PCB sizes and a range of interrelated test sequences. We deliberately configured the unit as a drawer system in order to achieve extremely fast retooling times of only a few minutes. As a result the ATX rotary table offers unique flexibility while setting new standards of operator friendliness and safety:
- The entire operation is regulated by a user-friendly control software programme, thus eliminating operator error!
- A laser-controlled interrogation system ensures that the PCB is always inserted correctly, with the adjustable tolerance limits ensuring maximum flexibility.
- Various coding interrogations mean that incorrect PCBs are excluded, together with any adaptations which are not part of the test.
- An infra-red curtain prevents any contact with the table during the process of rotation. The safety function reacts so fast that even objects which fall into the protected area are detected and lead to the immediate interruption of the rotary movement.
- The rotary table is fitted with additional sensors which react with lightning speed to any disturbance to operations and switch off the movement of the table.
- In order to protect the operator the actual adaptation itself is closed by a safety partition before the pneumatic cylinder is lowered. If the movement of the partition is blocked a contact strip at its base activates the emergency stop function and the air is evacuated from the entire system.
- PCBs which have been tested can be removed either manually or automatically by means of an optional grab arm.
- The noise emissions of the ATX rotary table are so low that the unit is also highly suited to quieter operational areas.
We have now produced a large number of rotary table systems, with each one made to measure for the customer's specific requirements. Whether these include in-circuit testing, functional testing, visual inspection, printing and marking or mounting additional components: the possibilities for combination are almost unlimited. We have even produced versions for handicapped operators and with features such as missing-part detection. In the process we offer one-stop shopping for the entire project, with planning and production which integrate third-party suppliers and including control cabinet construction and of course SPC programming.